Monday, October 5, 2009

How many diapers do I need?

Here's a link to an article on Cloth Diaper Blog with some great information about how many cloth diapers you might need.  Bryana Guckin is great about replying to emails if you have any questions, too.   I've gone into a little detail below about the types of diapers mentioned in the article.

http://www.clothdiaperblog.com/how-many-cloth-diapers-does-my-baby-need/

Like the author, I also recommend one-size diapers (or some of the new, 2 size systems, such as Apple Cheeks or Thirsties Duo Wraps) to cut down on the number of diapers you need.  Brands like bumGenius, Smartipants, or FuzziBunz offer one-size pocket diapers that come with inserts so you don't have to buy more.  Apple Cheeks are a pocket or cover, although I prefer to use them as a pocket diaper because of the fleecy lining inside the diaper cover.  AppleCheeks, Thirsties, or Wonder Wraps do not come with any inserts.  Thirsties and Wonder Wraps are just covers. You have to have another diaper inside.

Contour, fitted, and prefolds are simply diapers that need covers.  Prefolds are by far the cheapest, and that's what I use, with wonderful results.  If you read this blog regularly, you know that I LOVE my Wonder Wraps covers.  For my daughter, the Thirsties regular (not Duo-Wrap) covers did not work as well--they didn't leak, but the top in front rolled down and the touchtape closure would rub her belly and leave red marks.  The Wonder Wraps do not do that, as long as I ensure that the "wing" underneath is pulled out in the front underneath the Aplix closure.

Contour diapers are just flat diapers that are cut into an hourglass shape to reduce bulk between baby's legs.  They require a cover to keep them on the baby.

Fitteds usually have some type of closure to hold the diaper on the baby, but they still require a cover. 

Snappis are plastic clips that hold diapers such as contour or prefolds in place on the baby.  I do not use them, so I can't speak to their effectiveness or necessity.

All In One diapers are exactly what they sound like--a diaper and cover all sewn together.  Use once, then wash.  They tend to take longer to dry because you can't take the absorbent layer out like you can with a pocket diaper.

*************************************************

If you are on a super-tight budget, here is what I recommend:  24-36 regular sized prefold diapers.  No need to buy sized ones, just fold them up a little more when baby is small (that's what I did and I had no trouble)
4-6 diaper covers (You know I prefer Wonder Wraps).  I use them overnight, when we're out, when we're home...I never have any problems with them.  Just make sure you have enough absorbency in the diaper itself or you will have leaking once the diaper is full.

Without any extra layers of absorbency, you will have to change baby's diaper often.  You could add in some microfiber, hemp, or other type of insert to help with this.  I made microfiber inserts out of microfiber bar mop towels, and they work great.  I got them cheap, on sale at Target.  You could also just double diaper if you have enough in your stash.  There are lots of ways to add absorbency while saving tons of money.  (Got old flannel sheets or shirts?  Cut them up and layer them inside the folded diaper!)

I use Gerber premium white prefold diapers.  They come in six packs for about $11.  For 24 diapers that's about $44; for 36 diapers, it's about $66.  Then add several covers, at roughly $12-14 each, and that is anywhere from $48 to $84.  I think I spent about $9 on my microfiber towels.  Grand total:  anywhere from $101 to $159.  Done.  Oh, but buy a diaper sprayer (about $45).  It is TOTALLY worth the cost, I swear!  All together, you're still hovering around $200 (not including wet bags, creams, or other miscellaneous items you may want to have).  How long would it take to rack that up in disposables?  Just something to think about.

0 comments: