We put up Karina's toddler bed today! I've been really torn about when to do it, mainly because I didn't really want to...my baby growing up and all. But I realized that she was really ready. So I made her a quilt to go on her new Big Girl Bed, and once I finished it, there was no reason to wait anymore. We were going to do it tomorrow, Saturday, but I like to have some time to myself in the morning and I wanted to make the switch early so she could get used to it. We took her crib apart so we could get it out the door. She didn't even seem to care. Then we brought in the bed and she wanted to climb on it before we even got the mattress back on! As soon as the mattress was on, she was on the bed. She was SO excited! I did a little rearranging in her room, and we spent most of the day in her bedroom so she could really get used to it. After lunch, I was nervous about what she would do at naptime, but she was awesome. I told her that naptime is for sleeping, and that's what she needs to do, lie in her big girl bed and go to sleep, and she did! Same at bedtime, but it was so cute, she started laughing that she was getting in the bed to go to sleep. She just loves that she's a big girl in her bed now! She wanted the quilt on her to cover her, which is new--usually she doesn't want anything on and I would put these two little fleecy blankets on her in the crib to keep her warm. I was happy that she wanted the quilt on. She is very quiet right now (at 9pm) so that's a good sign.
We've also been dealing with a horrific diaper rash. The poor thing, when she woke up from her nap, I put stuff on it, and she started crying! I left her out of her diaper all afternoon, except for dinner, and she only had one accident! I was pretty impressed. I do believe potty training is right around the corner for us (but that was not at all my goal today--just trying to get this rash healed up). When Karina does get rashes (even kids in cloth can get them, and Karina has extremely sensitive skin), they tend to be pretty bad ones. Fortunately, she doesn't get them too often. I think this one is caused in part by her eating a lot of oranges lately. But who knows.
It's just been a really good day!
OH, and I also asked her what some letters of the alphabet were, by pointing to them today, and she knew about a third of them (random ones, like O). She also knew K, and knew that K is for Karina. That was pretty awesome. She just amazes me every day and I am so lucky to be her mom.
5 comments:
She's getting to be such a big girl! I bet she'll be potty trained before Tobin is!
Yay to the easy transition to the big girl bed! I hope the rest of the night went well too!
I still have Thing 2 in a toddler bed.... She'll be FIVE in May. Hahahaha! Time for a new bed, I'm just not ready for it yet. These milestones are so exciting and so sad at the same time.
(PS -The only thing that worked for Thing 2's diaper rashes (they would get so bad they'd bleed) was Triple Paste. I used about a gazillion things before I tried it, and it was the ONLY thing to work. It's AMAZING!
Hope Karina's clears up soon!
Bloggie,
Thanks for the tip about the Triple Paste. Right now I'm using Grandma El's, which usually works like practically magic on her. But she has never had one this bad. Your poor babies, bleeding! That's awful! If it doesn't start to clear up (Bill says it looks better to him) in a couple days, I will either try something like the Triple Paste, or take her to the pediatrician. It's so strange how quickly it cropped up, out of nowhere.
I'm glad we did it spontaneously or I'd have been crying on her last crib night.
It really does sound like potty training is around the corner for her, and I'm so proud of her for sleeping so well in her bed. She's growing up!
Yay! I can't wait to see the quilt either!
Post a Comment