Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Making Baby Things (Not for Me)

Someone in my family is adopting a baby girl this year, and it's all I can do to contain myself.  I suddenly realized the other day that I can start getting baby gifts together, as long as they aren't sized or too specific.  They know the baby will be a girl, and I believe she will be under 18 months old.  But other than that, at this time, that's all we know. 

So I've been obsessed with making these little knit baby caps and hats.  I found a tutorial a while back at Make It and Love It and I've wanted to use it (and if you like to sew, then you need to check out this lady's blog!  It's amazing!).  Then a couple weekends ago, I was going on a weekend retreat with my youth group and didn't have a hat.  So I made one really quickly out of an old, too-small fleece sweatshirt I was going to just give away.  I felt kind of bad about cutting it up, but I really needed a hat!  It was going to be highs in the 20s!  Anyway, now I've been making little hats for babies.  It's so much fun and it's so stinking easy!  You just cut out a hat shape and sew the two pieces together!  And I learned how to use a walking foot on my sewing machine!  How cool is that?  (I didn't even know my machine had one til yesterday!)  A walking foot is basically just a different presser foot (the part that feeds the fabric through on top) with extra parts that help feed fabric through.  Some fabrics are hard to feed and projects end up uneven, so this foot helps pull the top fabric through at the same speed as the bottom fabric.  Go read Ashley's blog to learn more, I'm not good at explaining sewing stuff, plus she has cool pictures!

I am also cutting up some onesies that were stained and I wasn't sure what to do with.  I couldn't consign them, couldn't keep all of them (I have allowed myself one bin per child and Karina's is almost full already, yikes!), and so I was just going to donate them.  Then, when I was looking at them to make hats, and realized there's no good straight edge on onesies to use to make the hat, I thought of a baby blanket.  So I am also making two baby blankets, one for my family member and one for me!  Some of the onesies were ones I liked but not enough to keep, so I'm glad they will now have another use.  And I'll have something cute to remember those baby days.

Pictures will be forthcoming.  Eventually.  Don't hold your breaths or anything, you know I'm slow.  :-)

Have a great week!

3 comments:

Ginger said...

I am glad pictures are coming! You should not feel bad about cutting up the fleece item to make a hat. You re-purposed something and that is a trendy thing to do! I bet these hats are going to be so cute! Plus meeting the new baby will be something fun and wonderful to look forward too! Also, thanks for posting about my blog candy! You are super sweet!

Ginger said...

The balloon on my blog is a 3D balloon not stickles! Sorry if that was misleading! I stickled the other areas that glitter and shine!

Christina said...

Congrats to your family member that is adopting! Very exciting to have another baby in the family I'm sure!

I wish I could sew. Can't wait to see some of your projects.