Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Karina is my little helper

Karina likes to help me do almost everything. She gets upset if I do laundry without her and she sees me (I'm not making this up).  She will drag a full, heavy bag of laundry down the hall, grunting all the while, until I make her give it to me.  She tried to carry a full laundry basket the other day--she was really trying to pick it up!  She also helps me put dishes away from the dishwasher, by handing me silverware one piece at a time (except knives which I grab up quickly).  She will sometimes try to use the little hand vac to clean up the enormous quantities of tiny food particles she leaves under her highchair, but she can't turn it on yet.  She just holds it up with all her strength, grunting, until I take it from her.  She helps me shop by holding the list.  She helps me carry groceries in, too, and will try to lift these heavy bags.  I have to save a light one for her just so she can help me carry groceries from the car to the kitchen.  She loves pulling clothes out of drawers, but will "reorganize" them later for me.  She likes flushing the toilet.  She sweeps and tries to use the dustpan.  She helped me rinse out the bathtub after I had washed it.  I was rinsing it out with a cup and she went and got another container that I usually use but couldn't find (I guess she had stashed it somewhere) and started filling it up with water and rinsing the tub with me.  Oh, and tonight, Bill's at volleyball, and it was time to put on pajamas.  So I told Karina I was going to go put mine on first.  She made a beeline to my jammy drawer and pulled out jammy pants and a top that matched!  I do not have a lot of matchy-matchy pajamas.  Mostly I sleep in T-shirts, but I do have some, and this set has pants, a tanktop, and a little cardigan-like part.  She pulled out the pants and cardigan.  I couldn't believe it.  So of course, I had to wear them!  And she likes to help me find socks, but that might be just because they are scattered all over the floor of my closet.

It is so cute how she's my helper.  Wow, once I started making this list of all the cute ways she helps me, I kept thinking of more, and the list has grown since I started typing this post!  I'm astounded at all the ways she tries to--and often succeeds in--helping me.  She is so amazing.  Wow.

UPDATE: Today (Thursday) I thought of something else she does--she likes to close the doors to the microwave, dishwasher, front door of the house, bathroom doors, car doors if I'd let her (I don't), and dryer door (also don't; I have a fear of her fingers getting chopped off by it slamming shut).

0 comments: