Working our yard sale means we get first dibs on everything that comes in. We pay for it fairly, of course, but we do get the benefit of seeing everything first. Sometimes the school staff or church staff will see it first, but most of it we do. So throughout the sale, we put stuff away in a little pile for ourselves to take home. Presales were over $1000 this year. That's just from the church and school staff and people browsing when they came in to drop off their donations!
Here are some of the things I got this year. This doesn't include some of the things I got for Karina that came in later in the sale. I haven't gotten pics of those yet. I got her a small outdoor table with two folding chairs and an umbrella, a tricycle with a dumper on the back, and an adjustable Little Tykes basketball hoop (she loves watching the boys across the street play!).
This is just pretty, I think. I love teapots. I kind of collect them. (I'm a huge tea drinker)
Just another thing I thought was pretty. I believe it's to keep water in, but I think you can also put hot stuff in it and put a little burner under it. Whatever it is, it's pretty and I have a silver one just like it. This one is copper; I know the color in the picture is a little off.
A hobby horse I got for Karina.
A stained glass picture, about 15" square that I hung in my craft room window. It is so much prettier in person.
Now, the next few things I didn't buy. I just thought they were neat and took pictures of them.
This is an old 20s feathered cloche hat. It was gorgeous in person. It sold, but only because a woman left us an offer and her phone number. It seemed like people were looking for really deep bargains, but we know this had some value. We also got another feathered cloche later. I thought it wasn't quite as pretty, but it was still really neat.
Here it is. It has an intentional hole in the top with netting.
This is some newer Limoges china that isn't worth what the real antique stuff is, but it is still pretty. If it was blue or red or even yellow, I probably would have bought it. Green just isn't my favorite color.
This teapot I almost bought, too. Maybe I will next year; we saved it. It's English, and my mom thought it might have some value, but we weren't sure. Still, it's pretty.
This is some Homer Laughlin china. I had never heard of him, but my mom recognized the name. It was a huge set of it. We saved that for next year, too, because it also did not sell.
Finally, this old desk came from the parsonage. It's not fancy or spectacular, but I liked it anyway. If I had space in my house or my craft room, I might have wanted it. Oh, look, you can see my mug of tea in the background on the table behind the desk, and the doughnuts I bought.
We get neat stuff every year, and we're always surprised at what does and doesn't sell. It often astounds me that beautiful stuff like this won't sell, but sets of bath products will. ? Someone told us that it's because we're a charity/nonprofit or whatever and that makes people not want to negotiate. I don't know, but it's strange.
I'm so glad the sale is over, I am tired and sick (thank you, Kelly, for your germs) but I'm already looking forward to next year's sale! (Crazy, I know!)
3 comments:
I don't drink but I think that pitcher is a brandy warmer for parties. So everyone doesn't need a seperate brandy warmer lol.
Thanks, Jen! I had no idea what it was. I don't drink, either, but I guess if I ever did I could warm up a *lot* of brandy in my two semi-matching pitchers!
Your little Karina is a lucky little girl with those finds! You did so well!
Post a Comment