Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

I am not married to a military man.  I knew I couldn't handle that lifestyle.  I know several women who are married to men who are military, and I am constantly amazed at what they and their families handle, and with what grace.  It's not an easy life.  It's hard, really hard.  There's relocation, odd hours, changing shifts, lots of time away from family. 

One friend's husband just came back from a many months long deployment.  Another is waiting to find out where her husband's new orders will be.  Another just moved several states away with her husband, and she just had a baby.

Military families are amazing to me.  I am in awe of them, really. 

My dad was in the military, and served in Vietnam.  My uncle also served in Vietnam, as point--a very dangerous post (I think that's the title of the guy who has to go out in front and scout ahead).  My mom's father was in WWII, which is how he met my grandmother (in Scotland).  My dad's dad was also military and they moved around a lot.  I know they lived in France, and I think also in Germany.  I found out today that my husband's grandfathers also served in the military.  My cousin was in the navy, but recently got out to pursue a different degree.  I am surrounded by military, even within my family, and yet I am still awestruck at how much these men and women are willing to give for the sake of this country. 

Just think about it.  There are people out there who are willing to die, just so the rest of us can live.  And they don't even know us.  They aren't our moms, who we probably all know would do just that for us, too.  No, these are some friends, but many many strangers.  They deserve more than just a day. 

I am often reminded of something I read a long time ago, about someone who thanks military personnel whenever she sees them.  She just goes up and says, "Thank you" to them.  I'm sorry to say I've never had the nerve, but I am going to.  I am going to do it, even though I am very, very shy. 

They deserve it. 

2 comments:

Ginger said...

I agree they need to be thanked every day! It is an honor to know each and every one of them.

Liz Mays said...

It's unbelievable what they sacrifice for us. They definitely deserve our honor and respect.