Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I have a confession, and it's not about diapers

I watch DOG the Bounty Hunter.

I admit it.  For a long time, I denied it.  I denied that I like the show, that I even watched the show.  Sometimes, if someone caught me with it on, I'd say, "Oh, there was nothing on, I was just watching it for laughs...".  Lies.  I love this show.  I don't know why, really, but I suspect it's because it is the complete, polar opposite of my life.  My life is not exciting, I do not curse and swear like a sailor (most days), I don't chase bad (innocent until proven guilty in a court of law) guys, I don't wear a bulletproof vest, and I don't know a thing about bounty hunting.  I am just fascinated by the excitement and fast pace of this show.  I love watching them hunt down these people, sometimes physically chase them, subdue them, try to talk some sense into them and make them cry in the car, and then take them back to jail.  The yelling, the running, the handcuffing, the tattoos...I love it all.  Because it's far removed from the reality of my life.  I recognize that for some people, this is the reality of their lives, and I hope that for those people there will be positive change and better days.  But I'll keep enjoying this show anyway.

The best episode I've seen so far was when all the guys--Dog, his two sons, his brother, and also Beth, his wife--were up on the 14th or 40th or something floor of an apartment building trying to catch a guy, having left Dog's little 22ish year old daughter Lyssa downstairs talking to the girlfriend of the suspect.  Suddenly there he is, downstairs, and Lyssa, who probably weighs about 110 pounds if that, grabs him.  All the guys start down in the elevator which is so slow, and the suspect, a guy named Jay, starts shaking Lyssa off, because she doesn't have any handcuffs or anything, she's just trying to hold him herself.  Finally he throws her down, and she gets up and chases him!  I couldn't believe it!  Finally the guys get out of the elevator, and Leland goes tearing off down the street after him.  When he catches up to them, Lyssa has caught him again!  Leland jumped on him and handcuffed him and he was screaming at him about pushing his little sister down.  It was the best.  I was literally sitting bolt upright in my bed gripping the covers trying not to yell, "GET HIM!" at the top of my lungs.  I'm sorry, but you just can't get that kind of thrill changing diapers.

So, there you have it.  I admit it.  I love this show.  Normally, I'm an HGTV kinda girl, but on Wednesdays, I love to watch this exciting, crazy show.

1 comments:

Liz Mays said...

No freakin' way! That girl is tough!!! I've never seen the show before but you've convinced me I need to.

I used to watch Cops every single episode and this kinda reminds me of that. I'm gonna have to tune in!