Happy Mother's Day to all of you out there who are moms, grandmas, moms-to-be, or mom-like. To me, not only is Mother's Day about moms, it's about the women in our lives who mother us, care for us, nurture us, and support us (or others). When I was teaching, if we made cards or gifts for Mother's Day, I would always explain that they didn't have to be for their mother, but any woman in their life who cared for them or was special to them. I had to do this, of course, because some of my kids didn't have biological mothers to whom they could give their card or gift. Some were in foster care, some were living with grandparents or other relatives, some had lost their mom. That necessity led to my personal reevaluation of what Mother's Day is really about. In no way do I mean to take away from mothers who have actually given birth and are raising their kids, I just mean to include women who do the loving jobs of a mother but might not otherwise get some credit (Men, you get yours on Father's Day).
So when I say, "Happy Mother's Day", I'm saying it to a lot more people than just biological mothers.
Teachers, pastors, youth advisors, bus drivers, babysitters, other caregivers, nurses, doctors, grandmothers, aunts, cousins, sisters, friends, and all the other women out there who are doing what they can to make people's lives better, to care for people, to do something positive, especially if it's in the life of a child.
Happy Mother's Day!
Most especially Happy Mother's Day to my own mom, without whom I would have no grammar skills at all. Thank you for being there for me to comfort me through all the rough times, to laugh with me in the good times, and to love me through all of them. You gave up everything to make sure that David and I had good lives, fun childhoods, and people to love and protect us. You're the ultimate success story for motherhood. I love you more than our measly English words can express.
1 comments:
What a wonderful expression of love to your own mom, and to women who have been loving and nurturing people to those who need it!
Post a Comment