Thursday, July 8, 2010

Just Gotta Say This

I constantly worry about how I'm coming across to other people.  I've always been self-conscious, and I know it's a big flaw.  But I think of myself as a generally nice person, most of the time, and I wouldn't want someone to think otherwise of me, especially if it was because of something I did to mislead them.

Anyway, I just want to say, even though I love my cloth diapers, and I rave about them and encourage people to switch from disposables (which I admittedly hate), I don't hate the users of these disposables.  I don't think anyone is dumb or lame or a loser in any way for choosing them. 

I see a lot of stuff out on the web (more about breastfeeding v/s bottle feeding than cloth diapers) where moms are attacking other moms for their choices.  This drives me crazy.  That is NOT what we should be doing!  Being a mom is hard enough!  It's fun, but hard, and we shouldn't be going around knocking each other down for the choices we make, even if we disagree with them. 

So my blog is not supposed to be about telling you to use cloth, but more about educating readers who might not realize what cloth has become.  A lot of people simply don't know (how would they?  I didn't!) what cloth diapers are like now.  I just want more people to know so that they can make a choice based on as much information as possible, rather than only the information available from the disposable diaper companies, which is obviously going to be biased towards their own product.

On a personal note, none of my friends use cloth diapers.  One used them part time, many years ago, some have considered using them, one is still waffling, and others have flat-out said no way.  I'm still friends with them.  They still like me.  It's all good. 

If I have ever, at any point in this blog or any other, written anything that has made anyone think I'm passing judgment on them personally, I'm sorry.  I am really, truly sorry, because I never mean that to come across here.  It honestly never occurred to me until today that maybe my blog could be perceived this way to some people.  I know the post I read wasn't directed at me, but I'm so glad it was written the way it was, because it made me think about how my blog is being perceived by other people.  So, while this is not a direct response to the blog I read, it's gratefully written because of it, and because it made me think about things from a different perspective.  I hope I have not offended anyone or hurt anyone's feelings, and I am going to be more thoughtful in my posts from now on.  I will even try to be more careful in my blasting judgment of disposable diaper companies, which I think are using some shamelessly deceitful tactics to mislead parents into thinking their products are environmentally friendly when they are not.  (I said I'd try.)



Thanks for that post, by the way; I know you read this blog.  I'm glad you wrote it because it did make me take a step back and think about what I write and how I say things.  I'm far from perfect, and I appreciated that what you wrote made me realize I could be unintentionally making other people feel bad.

4 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I heart you. That is all.

Christina said...

i like you and read your blog even though i wont be using cloth any time soon. glad to hear you like us 'sposie users:)

Christina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christina said...

my comment posted twice. hmmm. oh well. wanted to ad that it is nice to see you are passionate about something. i rarely express such interest in anything. im kind half-hearted about everything(like i was with cloth diapers. haha)