Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Old School Toys I've Rediscovered

I have become re-obsessed with My Little Ponies.  This is a very bad thing, because the current ones in stores are SO ugly, I hate them.  I only like the old style ones, and that means I have to either get lucky at a yard sale or find them online.  PayPal is not my friend.  It's too easy.  It all started when I went hunting for my old ponies to share with Karina.  I finally, finally found them, after much searching, and I realized I didn't have as many as I thought I did, and some are in pretty rough shape.  I was finally able to let go of some to give her later, and I picked out the ones I couldn't bear to part with (my original, flat-foot ponies, Firefly, Glory, and one called Dancing Butterflies that didn't get much playtime and is just really pretty).  It was SO hard!  But I don't have any problem giving her new-to-me ponies.  So that means I've been spending too much time on Etsy and another site I found that sells used Ponies and other toys.  Now if I share this site with you, don't go buying up all the best ponies!  It is called My Little Pony Boutique.  I have a few ponies coming to me in the mail from them, and one or two I found on Etsy for good prices.  That's the main thing...they aren't too expensive, so it's too, too easy to start picking out 3, 6, 24 ponies that I want.  Oh.  This is so bad.

On top of that, I have been on the hunt for a nice 18 inch doll for her to (eventually) play with.  That started with those stinking adorable Adorable Kinders dolls, that I tried to win but unfortunately did not (not that I think that would have helped me).  Then I found that cute Darling Timey Tells doll that looks a bit like Karina's particular expression, and I did end up getting her after all.  When I couldn't stop thinking about it, I knew I should get her or I'd be sorry.  Now I have her and I am not sorry!  Then, at a yard sale, I found a cheap ($2) My Generation doll, which is 18 inches.  She's all right, not the prettiest face I've ever seen on a doll, and she has brown hair and eyes, neither of which Karina has.  But that's okay, too.  They don't have to look like her.  So she has that one.  Then, when my mom was helping me look for my My Little Ponies, she went up in the attic at her house and found my old My Friend Mandy doll.  This was quite a good find.  She's only 15 or 16 inches tall, but she is so cute, I had forgotten how adorable she was.  I was bummed when I got her because I wanted the Jenny doll with brown hair and got Mandy instead, with blond hair and blue eyes.  Now I'm glad, because that's my Karina!  (When I was a kid, I hated that all the Barbie dolls and dolls in general seemed only to come with blond hair.  I was constantly looking for brown-haired dolls)  Mandy has cemented my search for cute dolls.  So that, I finally explain, is the second obsession I now have. 

Basically I want to go up in that attic myself and get out all my old toys and be a kid again for a few days.  I had such a good childhood, and so much fun playing.  I hope one day Karina will look back on her childhood with the same amount of fondness that I do, and wish that she could get out all her old toys again.

1 comments:

Liz Mays said...

It sounds like you're having just as much fun with it as Karina is!