Thursday, January 6, 2011

I am so lucky and I am so thankful

My daughter is healthy.  Thank the good Lord above and the universe and anything else that you may believe in.  I say this because I've just finished reading about a little girl, the daughter of one of the blog writers I follow, who has been diagnosed with cancer.  I don't know her personally, but she's a semi-local blogger to me, so I always found her blog particularly relevant. 

She's not the only one.  I may have mentioned, but I can't remember, that there is another little girl I know with cancer.  Her mom and I were pregnant at the same time.  Our due dates were 1 week apart.  We taught together at my old school, and when I was subbing there, she was still there and we'd compare our pregnancy symptoms.  Then we both found out we were having girls.  Her daughter is 2 weeks older than Karina, and she was diagnosed last year with cancer. 

One of my cousins also had a tumor in her stomach when she was very small.  I remember her having surgery, but I was also little so I don't remember details.  My mom said she was always very scrawny, except for her tummy which was very big and round. 

Cancer is a horrible thing anytime.  But I think it's the worst when it strikes children.  I hate that any parent would ever have to go through the pain of knowing their baby is sick and could die.  Thank goodness medicine is as advanced as it is and many children are saved because of the skill and care of good doctors. 

I leave religion out of my posts most of the time in an effort to be respectful to everyone, but with something like this, all I can think of is how thankful I am to God that my daughter is healthy, and I pray that these other little girls will soon be healthy, too. 

If you would like to read about the blogger, it's Coupon Mommy of 3 and her blog link should be on my sidebar.

1 comments:

Liz Mays said...

She's in my prayers as well.