I feel like I have a watermelon growing out of my stomach. I feel HUGE! I know the baby is a little on the big side, but I am carrying her all in front, which is not how I carried Karina. So I have been using my old maternity belt for a while now, but it just hasn't been working well for me. It is basically a 3-inch wide, long piece of sturdy elastic with some velcro strategically placed so that it's adjustable. Well, if I was a little smaller it would be more adjustable. That was only part of the problem--that it wasn't long enough anymore. It also sat across my lower abdomen, and after a while, it would feel like the belt itself was hurting, and I'd yank it off, only to have my big ol' baby belly start to sag and I'd be sore no matter what. Last night was it. I was in so much discomfort, I decided I was getting a new one. So today, I headed out to the one store I could think of that carries these things, Motherhood Maternity. They did have them. Lots of the kind I already had and didn't want, and only one of another kind, which was what I wanted. It was size Small. Not going to work, not by a long shot. I was so bummed! The girl working there was really nice though and after chatting for a few minutes with her, she suggested I try Babies R Us. I would never have thought to look there. I know that was sending business away from her store, but I can certainly say that it makes me more likely to recommend them since she obviously was more concerned with helping me than making a sale. Off I went to Babies R Us. Success! They had plenty, and they had the kind I wanted, with a wider strappy thing and better support and larger sizes. I stood there debating over medium (supposed to fit prepregnancy dress size up to 16) or large. Sometimes the sizes are accurate and sometimes they aren't. A saleslady was standing nearby doing something else and I asked her if she knew if the sizes ran true or not. She said she had no idea and said I should just open the package and try one on. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I tried the medium first, and decided it was too close and might not last the next two months (during which time I'm sure my little watermelon will get even bigger, sigh), so I got the large and left a happy camper. I drove back to preschool to get Karina and put it on in the bathroom there. What a relief!! Bliss! Happiness beyond compare and I wore that thing all the rest of the day. I can tell you, I am not sore tonight. Not even a little. I am so happy because I'm going to a big craft fair on Friday and it will be tons of walking. I was almost dreading it, knowing how uncomfortable and sore I was going to be, and now I can just look forward to it again!
PS Motherhood and Babies R Us had nothing to do with my post. They didn't give me anything and my opinions are mine alone and based on my experiences.
The other story I have is a short one, about Karina tonight. First, some background information: her light switch doesn't control her ceiling light, it controls an outlet that we do not use. So we have a touch lamp next to her bed so she can at least turn on a light herself when she goes in there in the dark. Usually she leaves it alone though. She sleeps in a toddler bed with half-rails and since she loves her books so much there are always several shoved in the crack between the rail and mattress. Now the story. After tucking her in for the night, I turned on the TV in my bedroom, and Bill came in and we were chatting about her. She was muttering a little to herself, and Bill asked if I thought she ever turned that light on. I told him I didn't think so, since I've never gone in there in the night and found it on. After he left and went downstairs, I turned on the computer and after a few minutes, I heard her say something I couldn't understand. She sounded upset, but didn't repeat herself like she usually does when she's calling me. I decided to go make sure she was all right, and there she was, sitting up in her bed, the little lamp was on and she was trying to shove her books back in the crack of the mattress after she had finished reading them. Little turkey, after I just said she doesn't turn the lamp on. But you saw that coming, didn't you?
I hope you all had a good Thanksgiving! (We did, twice.)
2 comments:
Oh she's a little tricky one, isn't she?
I had never even heard of a maternity belt before, but I'm glad they make such a thing and that it's really helping you!
Oh I so feel your pain!! This belly weighs so much more this time around!
I have a maternity belt too I bought from Amazon in a size large and it's almost too small!! I end up ripping it off mid-day. I find that wearing my bella band helps a little bed and it doesn't feel as tight.
Post a Comment