I love my best friend. She's the greatest--a good listener, strong supporter, empathetic and understanding shoulder to cry on, overall wonderful person. But. She is so hard to shop for! Every year, at Christmas and her birthday, I agonize over what to get her. Not because she expects anything, but because I WANT to give her something. I enjoy giving gifts and doing something to make other people feel a little happy. My most fantastic friend does not have a hobby other than reading books. She doesn't collect anything other than one type of figurine which she has a LOT of. She doesn't like clutter in her house, so knicknacks are out of the question. She's struggling with her clothes right now because all the meds she's on have her weight fluctuating and going crazy. So clothes aren't an option. I could do the generic gift card, which is normally a fun thing (I think) to get (because, as you know, I like to shop) but I don't want to do just any old gift for her. The crazy thing is, she gets me gifts and I always love them. Always, even when they aren't something I want or need. I love them because they're from her. That's all. She once gave me a set of mugs with an image on them that wasn't really my taste. Do you know I use those mugs almost every day? Not because they're cute or pretty, but because every time I pick one up I think of her. So I know I shouldn't agonize over a present, but still. I do.
Arg.
And don't even get me started on the men in my life who either have everything they want, buy whatever they want themselves, or have no useful hobbies. I just won't even go there.
6 comments:
I find the same difficulty with giving gifts to some. It's always hard to settle for something other than the perfect gift! What about a coffee mug and a mug rug (I checked and they're starting to appear on Etsy!)? Happy shopping!
I find the same difficulty with giving gifts to some. It's always hard to settle for something other than the perfect gift! What about a coffee mug and a mug rug (I checked and they're starting to appear on Etsy!)? Happy shopping!
These might seem a little strange, but I'm thinking of getting these for the hard-to-shop-for ppl in my life. I think they're really neat!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/62308159/through-the-looking-glass-a-sun-loving?ref=v1_other_2
or
http://www.etsy.com/listing/62770612/hanging-airplant-pod-tm-silky-matte?ref=sr_list_1&ga_search_query=air+pods&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes%5B0%5D=tags&includes%5B1%5D=title&filter%5B0%5D=handmade
Thank you for the neat ideas!
I also love the pendants both of these sellers have. (Yes, I refuse to grow up!)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/stoopidgerl?ga_search_query=stoopid&ga_search_type=seller_usernames
http://www.etsy.com/shop/isewcute?page=1
I like that stuff, too, Bloggie! I don't think anyone should *really* grow up. :-)
Thank you so much for the good ideas, too.
Post a Comment