Friday, February 12, 2010

Karina's Bananas for Bananas

My daughter loves bananas.  I mean, she LOVES them.  Making the switch from bottle to food has been interesting to say the least, but one thing she will eat anytime, anywhere is bananas.  She learned that she can hold them in her hand to eat them (peeled, already of course) and she takes big bites out of them.  When she gets to the last bit that's gripped tightly in her little fist and she can no longer bite off it, I tell her I'll cut it up for her, and she puts it down on the tray.  I cut it into two or three smaller pieces, and poof!  She pops those into her mouth as fast as she can chew and swallow.  The girl is in love with bananas!  I think she'd marry them if she knew what marriage was. When she sits in her highchair, she can see the counter where I keep the bananas.  She'll get halfway, or not even halfway, through a meal, and start reaching for the counter.  "Unh, unh, unh" she says.  This means, "Give me banana, Mommy!!!" 

I was gone for the weekend with my youth group not long ago, and my husband kept her by himself.  He hadn't done this since she was about 9 months old, so the feeding situation was very different.  He actually let her eat an entire banana in one sitting.  Yes, the entire thing.  I couldn't believe it.  I normally cut the bananas into thirds and give her a third at a time.  She gets to have up to two of these a day, but never two at once


As an aside, I have discovered a way to help keep the banana from getting icky after I cut it for her.  I take a piece of paper towel, small, and stick it to the exposed piece of banana (still in skin).  When I take the paper towel off for the next time she has banana, just a tiny film of banana is inedible, instead of it being a giant brown mess.  Hmm.  I'm not sure this description is adequate, so I'll try to remember to take a picture of the banana with the paper towel on it.  Ha, that sounds so funny! 

So that's it.  My kid loves bananas (so do I but I don't get to eat them much anymore...Karina just begs for mine) and paper towels will save them.  :-)

2 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I'm kinda surprised that the paper towel keeps it as fresh as it does!

dannyscotland said...

I was surprised, too. Shocked, really, but it does! At least for the few hours/overnight between when she eats one part and the other part. I keep the banana in its skin otherwise.