Thursday, June 3, 2010

Our Honeymoon

As I said, our honeymoon was to Niagara Falls and several cities in Canada.  (I love Canada, except this one lady I'll tell you about soon).  We spent several days at Niagara Falls, in a hotel that overlooked them, and holy mackerel was it ever better than I imagined.  I didn't think they could possibly have rooms with such great views, but I highly recommend going there if you haven't. Pictures simply don't do it justice, but these are two of our best, I think.

When we left there, we drove to Toronto, where it stormed and then we walked around a little craft fair in a park that we found.  The hotel we stayed in was the worst of the whole trip.  (This is the craft fair)

Oh, and I forgot to tell you about the bed and breakfast we stayed in on our way up to NF...it was in New York and it was this old Victorian mansion in a little college town.  We walked around the neighborhood, got pizza and ice cream, and relaxed.  It was so cute!  I loved the house.  I just think those old Victorians are stunning.  So that was first, then the falls, and then Toronto.

Then we went to Ottawa, which has some of the most amazing architecture I had ever seen.  Plus, you can walk right up to their capital building if you want.  There were no gates or visible guards.  We took a little boat ride in the evening there, too.
This is the top of the capital building...I think it might be called the Parliament building, so if I'm messing that up, I'm really sorry.  Also, I could be completely wrong about some of these...it's been three years, after all. 
 
This building is a government building, I believe, but to the right of it is a whiter colored building, and that's a hotel.  They told us that when they built the hotel, the owner went all over Europe buying furniture for it.  He thought he'd be smart and send it over in the most reliable way he could find.  So he put it all on the Titanic.  
Gorgeous view of these government buildings as we took our little cruise.
Next was Montreal, where we spent two nights.  The full day we were there, we rented a tandem bike and rode around the city.  I tried really hard to speak French, but mine is so bad, and I just butchered it more than anything.  The people would listen to me try, and then say, "Just say it in English."  Here is me on a bridge we rode the bike across.  I still can't believe we did it.  Then it's me, just looking tired, because I was.  By the end of the day, I was fake-pedaling and totally letting Bill do all the work!  (Til he caught me, he he!)
 
This is the bridge we rode the tandem bike across.  Oh.  Heavens.

View while on the bridge...oh yes.  We did.
 (View from the bridge)

Next we went to Quebec City.  On our way there, we decided to stop for lunch at one of the little sandwich places along the way.  We went to the first one, sat down, and waited.  For the longest time, no one came.  Finally this woman came over, stood there with a grim expression and said nothing.  I said, "Bonjour" and tried to give her our order in French the best I could.  I guess I was too stupid for her because she got up and walked away.  So did we.  So that is the only person in Canada I do not like, hee hee.  We went on to another place, and the people there were amazingly friendly and helpful.  I don't think they spoke any English, or not much, and our waitress very patiently listened to me give our order in French, and was just as nice as could be.  We tipped very nicely there, as well.  The city, once we got there, is very old, and has a wall around it.  I remember it being a little chilly there.  There's a huge castle-like hotel, and water nearby.  Some boys were trying to throw a soda bottle over the balcony towards the water, but every time, the wind just blew it back to them!  We wandered around that city, too, and then finally went back to our hotel.  (I got to speak French there, too, and to use my phrase that meant, "Sorry, I don't speak French very well.").  That was our last Canadian city.
 
This is a view of the city below us as we stand up on the hill above it...it's kind of hard to describe.  Sorry.
A cute little street, like many of the streets in Quebec City, inside the walled part.

From there, we drove back into the US, where the customs people in Maine were very interested in my toothpaste tube.  I guess they were bored.  Finally another car pulled up and they hurried and finished with us.  We drove through Maine and then started to look for another bed and breakfast.  We found one very late at night in Connecticut, I believe.  It was another old house, very cool.  More of an American style, though.  But they had the most comfortable bed ever.  I fell asleep so fast, I didn't even get to enjoy the luxuriousness of it!

Then, back to my mom's to pick up our stuff and the wedding cake topper, and then the final leg, all the way to Florida.  The wedding cake top made it all that way, sat in the freezer for almost a year, then drove back up north with us when we moved from Florida. When we ate that cake topper on our first anniversary, it tasted just as good as the day we got married!!! 

And of course, we bought a house not long after that, and then found out Karina was on her way.  And now, here we are, at the three-year anniversary mark and she's almost a year and a half.  Wow.  Time flies.

1 comments:

Liz Mays said...

That honeymoon was amazing!!! I haven't been to Niagara Falls since I was little and your pictures are phenomenal.

I kinda chuckled at your french, because I'd be in the same boat. But I'd heard that Canadian french can be quite different from France french.

Everywhere you went was so beautiful, but the tandem over the bridge...yikes!!!!

Oh, my cake on our anniversary tasted like crap! LOL