Tonight was the best time! Karina got out her pretend purse (it's really a lunch bag) and wanted her sunglasses and my coat on. She went to the door and wanted to go outside, but it was after 730pm and she goes to bed at 8, so of course, I told her no. So instead we pretended to go out. She brought me a bag to be my purse, and put on my shoes and I gave her my keys. We pretended to unlock the door and go get in the car (the chair and footstool in the living room). I put Karina on the footstool and gave her a paper plate to be the steering wheel (yes, we have paper plates lying around the floor of the living room. She plays with them in her play kitchen which is in there) and I sat on the chair behind her "in the back seat". She kept laughing and laughing as I showed her how to pretend to drive the car. I told her to tell me when we were there (at the store), so she did. We got out and pretended to shop with the little shopping cart and play food my friend Stephanie gave her for Christmas/birthday. Then we paid for it with her pretend credit card and went back "outside" and got in the car and drove home. Oh my gosh it was so fun! She really got it, she completely understood that it was pretend, and when we were driving home, she didn't need me to help her with the steering wheel. She even got back in her car later and was driving again. She was having so much fun she didn't want to go to bed! It was 10 after 8 when I finally got her upstairs. I try to avoid meltdowns so I gave her a little time to realize that it's time to go upstairs. She is pretty good if I let her have a chance to finish what she's doing. I just told her it was bedtime, so she knew she only had a few minutes left, and then once I turned on the light upstairs she was ready.
I hope we will have lots more fun playing imaginary games like this in the future.
1 comments:
I LOVE when they get into their imaginary games like that. I had so much fun with the kids that way also.
Post a Comment