Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Speech today was great!

I am so proud of my girl today.  This was only our second day of speech, because of course we've both been sick for a week with the world's worst cold.  (We are both *still* getting over it.) So our therapist starts the usual stuff, playing and trying things to get her to talk and make sounds, and Karina is pretty hesitant.  One thing is that we have always told Karina, "Say ___" which I don't know is necessarily the best or right way, but we've done that.  Our therapist doesn't do this.  I sometimes wonder if Karina understands that she wants her to copy the sounds she's making.  So today, I mentioned it, and I started chiming in and telling Karina to make these sounds or say the words. 

For background, the basic things Karina says are "bye bye", "mama", "da" for daddy, and lots of "ba" sounds for everything else.  Today, she made the /p/ sound, the /t/ sound, tried to say "down" and tried to say "move"!!  This is so great!  Then tonight, she made the sound of the owl, which has a vowel sound that either has been hard for her to say, or which she is resistant to saying.  (I'm not sure if that sentence even remotely makes grammatical sense, but I am so happy about her speech progress that I don't even care!).

I think speech is going to work out great, and I continue to hope that once the ball starts rolling, we won't be able to stop it!

1 comments:

Liz Mays said...

Go Karina!!!! This is fabulous!